Newington Taxi | Maxi Cab | Shuttle Services
Book Now by call or Text: 0412093850 or Online booking form below
Newington Maxi Cab Service and Taxi to Sydney Airport Booking Site
Newington is a suburb of Sydney , in the state of New South Wales, Australia. It is 16 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of City of Parramatta.
Newington is 2 km west of Wentworth Point, on the Parramatta River, and 1 km north-west of Sydney Olympic Park. It is best known as the location of the Athletes Village for the Sydney 2000 Olympics and 2000 Summer Paralympics. The Athlete’s Village was converted to residential apartments after the Olympic Gamesand Paralympic Games. Other apartments and free-standing houses have also been built since. A memorial featuring all the names of the Australian athletes who participated at the Sydney 2000 Olympics and 2000 Summer Paralympics stands on a reserve opposite Newington Marketplace.
Newington Marketplace is an outdoor shopping centre featuring a Woolworths supermarket and specialty shops, cafes and restaurants. Newington also features a number of commercial buildings providing office and warehouse space.
Within ten days of the First Fleet arriving in Australia, records had been made of “The Flats”, the extensive tidal wetlands at Homebush Bay. Between the years 1788 to 1831, blocks of land ranging from 100 to 10,000 acres (40 km²) were given out to the first European settlers by dividing up the Wanng-al clans’ land. These land grants were inked in on County of Cumberland maps, with names of owners and land granted clearly indicated on the maps.
In 1807, John Blaxland acquired 520 hectares of land, reserving the original grants of Waterhouse, Shortland, Archer and Haslam. He named the estate Newington after his family estate in Kent, England. Blaxland established a series of salt pans on the banks of the Parramatta River and by 1827, was producing 8 tons of salt each week for the Sydney market. Blaxland also established a tweed mill, limekiln and flourmill. Newington House was completed in 1832 and St Augustine’s Chapel in 1838.
In 1843, Blaxland mortgaged the property to the Australian Trust Company. After he died in 1851 the Trust Company sold the property to John Dobie to recover the mortgage. The Blaxland family re-purchased the estate from Dobie in 1854 but offered it as security against a large loan. The property was transferred to the Official Assignee of the Insolvent Estate of Edward James Blaxland in 1860 and subsequently leased to the Methodist Church, who established Newington College on the site. The property, extending from near the current Holker Street to the current Carnarvon Street, was sold to John Wetherill in 1877.
Coal mining explorations were undertaken by Blaxland in 1841. He dug several six metre pits which gained the interest of the Australian Mining Company. The two parties reached agreement and, subsequently, undertook several unsuccessful explorations. In 1878, the City of Sydney Coal Company acquired the right to bore for coal at the site. The company drilled to 457 metres with no success. In 1855 the Australian Timber Company formed to exploit the timber stands in the Newington and surrounding areas. In the late 1870s and 1880s, Sydney’s suburbs were expanding rapidly and it was hoped that the creation of a residential settlement between the large centres of Sydney and Parramatta would be a profitable exercise. This did not prove to be the case.
Getting there by Taxi:
Call or Text 0412093850
To Airport: $TBA
To Sydney CBD: $TBA
*Maxi Charges is 50% extra
• Newington most affordable Maxi Cab service
• Newington Maxi Cab Service
• Taxi with Baby Seat, Maxi Cab, Group Transfers, Airport Transfers
• Instant Quotes and bookings
• 24 Hours phone support
• Direct contact with the driver
• A Fleet of Luxury vehicles
• Pay by invoice option
• VIP pickup at Sydney Airport – skip the long waiting queue